The 25th Infantry Division was formed on April 1, 1936 in Ludwigsburg. On August 26, 1939, the division was mobilized and relocated to border security in the Saarpfalz. In December 1939, the division was withdrawn as a reserve to Neustadt.
At the beginning of the Western campaign the 12th Army and marched through the Eifel and the Ardennes . On May 14, the division was pushed into the front and moved to the Aisne between Compiègne and Reims . With the beginning of the Battle of France, the second campaign section, forced the Division the Aisne transition, participated in the storming of Laon and Chemin des Dames and then marched to the Seine , which was crossed at Romilly . Then the division marched across the Loire to Bourges, where she remained for several weeks as a crew troop and then returned to their home garrisons.
On November 15, 1940, the division was motorized and then designated 25th Infantry Division (mot.). The Infantry Regiment 13 as a Mountaineering Regiment 13 and the 1st Division of the Artillery Regiment 25 as the 1st Division of the Mountain Artillery Regiment 94 to the 4th Mountain Division and the 1st Division of the Artillery Regiment 61st dissolved. In addition, the division received the Kradschützen battalion 25. This transformation was completed on March 15, 1941.
As of June 22, 1941, the division participated in the attack on the Soviet Union and pushed from the Lublin area over the bow on Lutsk and Rovno ( tank battle near Dubno -Lukk-Rivne ) before. At Zwiahel on Slucz the division broke through the Stalin line and then marched on Shitomir and Kiev . After the closure of the Uman basin , the division participated in the Battle of Kiev . From September to November, the division entered Sumy and then Orel , and then attacked Tulaon. In December 1941, the division had to fight back on the rivers Suscha and Oka , where they had until July 1942 defensive and positional fights to exist. In August 1942, the division participated in the offensive over Bolchow on Uljanowo and was then used until the end of the year to fight positions in the area Kirejkowo north of Bolkhov. These positional fights also continued in 1943.
On June 23, 1943, the division was transformed into the 25th Panzer Grenadier Division. In July 1944, during Operation Bagration , the division was destroyed at Army Group Center . Their remains came to the Panzer Brigade 107 .
The re-establishment of the division took place in October 1944 on the military training area Grafenwoehr and the training area Baumholder .
This is an AMAZING and EXTRAORDINARILY RARE reference for the WW2 collector! Made of heavy paper, it features the progress of the 25th Infantry Division during the 1940 Western Campaign. Printed in full color, it features various images of troops, vehicles, tanks, river crossings, artillery, etc. The right side has a prominent Wehrmacht Adler; and the Broad Sword is running down the middle. Various marks, scratches, wear, and creases…but nothing that detracts. Has the name “Gefreiter Mergenthaler” (a member of the 25th Infantry Division), as well as his serial number inscribed onto the reverse measuring approx. 18″ x 24″ in size, it would make a SUPERB addition to any collection or display!